OUR SISTER LODGES
The members of Lodge Bannockburn Bruce & Thistle No. 312 are proud to be members of a brotherhood encompassing the four quarters of the globe.
Whilst the Lodge minutes record many reports of visitations to sister Lodges throughout Scotland, and indeed the world, the close affinity which exists between '312' and our sister Lodges within the Province of Stirlingshire shines clearly through the history pages.
Notwithstanding the above, a number of close ties with Lodges outwith the province have been developed, the oldest being our association with The Thistle Lodge of Glasgow No. 87 which dates back to 1955.
Earliest relationships were with our two sponsor Lodges, these being The Lodge of Alloa No. 69 and Lodge St. Andrew Denny & Loanhead No. 176. The Lodge was subsequently consecrated by the R.W.M. and Office Bearers of Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30 with deputations from Lodge Stirling Royal Arch No. 76 and Stirling Rock Encampment as well as our two sponsor Lodges in attendance.
1872 Whilst no account of this item appears within the records of '312', the minutes of Lodge Stirling Royal Arch No. 76 record a great deal of gratitude to Bro. James Brown, a M.M. of '312' who affiliated to Stirling Royal Arch. In 1872 Stirling Royal Arch went into abeyance for a period of twelve years. During this period Bro. Brown paid the Annual Dues to Grand Lodge on behalf of '76', thus preserving their identity and retaining the number '76' on the Roll of The Grand Lodge of Scotland.
Bro. Brown and 17 other Brethren (two of whom were M.Ms of '312') reactivated Lodge Stirling Royal Arch No. 76 with Bro. Brown in the Chair. He was Master for a period of three years at the end of which the Lodge had 80 active members.
Bro. Brown was the first Life Member of '76' and the first Past Master to receive a Past Master's Jewel. The minutes of Lodge Stirling Royal Arch also record that Bro. Brown subsequently became Secretary of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire.
1874 The first recorded minute regarding other Lodges was the acceptance of an invitation from Lodge Abercromby No. 531 in Bridge of Allan to join with their brethren in their First Anniversary Festival.
1875 At the installation of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire when Bro. Lord Balfour of Burleigh was installed as W.P.G.M. Depute and Bro. George Christie was installed as W.S.P.G.M., the Lodge was represented by the R.W.M. Bro. George Watson
The R.W.M. Bro. Watson also reported an interesting account of his visit to the Lodge of Alloa No. 69 when the new Lodge premises were consecrated.
1895 The first record of the Mark Ceremonial being conducted within the Lodge appears in the minute 12th April 1895 when Bro. John King, P.M. of Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30, formed a Lodge of Mark Masters and advanced 15 brethren to the honourable rank of Mark Master Mason.
1900's In the early 1900's it appears to have been common practice for Lodges to assist each other in fund raising efforts in order to acquire premises. Requests for donations towards building funds were regularly received and amounts varying from a half crown up to five pounds were regularly granted.
1903 An appeal from Lodge Callendar No. 588 requesting assistance in their fund raising efforts to build a new hall. The Lodge responded in the first instance by making a donation from Lodge Funds of £3 and advised the Brethren of Lodge Callendar that it was the intention to run a bazaar or a Prize Draw on their behalf.
1904 The following year the Lodge raised the sum of £5.17.9d from this Prize Draw and bazaar. This was raised to £6 and despatched to the Secretary of Lodge Callendar.
1905 The Lodge donated the sum of £5 to the Building Fund of Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30.
1906 It was not only local Lodges who were supported by '312'. Amongst those Lodges outwith the province who received donations from '312' were Lodge St.Mary Coltness No. 31; Lodge St.John Coupar Angus No. 105; Lodge St. Fillans No. 815, Killin, and Lodge Odin No. 917 Kirkwall.
1910 A donation of £10 was made towards the building of the new Grand Lodge Freemason's Hall in Edinburgh, a project which was to cost £30,000.
1928 The Lodge participated in running a "Sister Lodges Stall" at a bazaar held by Lodge Polmont No. 793 in aid of their Building Fund.
1944 Bro. John G. Wilson P.M. gave a most interesting report of a visit he had undertaken to Freemason's Hall, English Constitution in London. He later attended a meeting held by Lodge Robert Burns No. 25 and remarked with interest that throughout the world there are five Masonic Lodge's named after our National Bard - one in Scotland, two in England and two in Australia.
1946 Bro. John G. Wilson informed the brethren that the Lodge had agreed to be a member of the Stirling & District Bowling Association and would play annually for the Christison Trophy.
1951 At the official opening of the Masonic Home at Ault Wharrie, Dunblane the Lodge was represented by the R.W.M. Bro. George Richardson. The opening ceremony was performed by H.R.H. The Princess Royal (Princess Mary) on the 27th October 1951.
1956 In August the Lodge recorded its first victory in the Christison Bowling Trophy of the Stirlingshire Masonic Bowling Association. This was followed by further success in 1957.
1957 The R.W.M. Bro. Robert Laird along with his two wardens Bros. Robert Moultrie and Dixon Vallance represented the Lodge at the Bi-Centenary celebrations of The Lodge of Alloa No. 69.
1958 The Lodge was represented by the R.W.M. Bro. Robert Moultrie in Dunblane at the opening of Randolph Hill, the latest addition to the Royal Scottish Masonic Home.
1959 In March the Lodge was represented at the Re-dedication Service and Bi-centenary dinner of Lodge Stirling Royal Arch No. 76.
1962 An invitation was accepted to attend the Bi-centenary celebrations of Lodge Thistle Glasgow No. 87.
1983 The Lodge was honoured when the R.W.M. Bro. Andrew Craig was invited to propose the Toast to the Prosperity of Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30 at their Dedication Dinner upon their moving to the new Masonic Temple in Forth Street, Stirling.
1984 At the 125th celebrations of Lodge Zetland No. 391 the R.W.M. Bro. Bro. Alex Buchanan and his Wardens Bros. Grahame J. Smith and Alexander Buchanan represented '312'. The ceremony was conducted by the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason Bro. J.M. Marcus Humphrey of Dinnet.
1985 To mark the 30th anniversary of the association of our two Lodges, the R.W.M. Bro. Grahame J. Smith, on behalf of the brethren of '312', presented a decanter to The Thistle Lodge of Glasgow No. 87.
1988 In memory of Bro. Alexander Buchanan P.M. who passed away suddenly the previous year, a Sports Night was held between Lodge St. James No. 590 Harthill and Lodge Bannockburn Bruce and Thistle. The winners were Lodge Bannockburn Bruce and Thistle. This has become an Annual event with the spoils to date being evenly balanced.
Lodges Ancient Stirling No. 30 and Buchlyvie No. 1268 organised a sponsored "It's a Knockout" in Annfield Stadium, the home of Stirling Albion Football Club. The Lodges who participated were Ancient Stirling No. 30; Stirling Royal Arch No. 76; St.James Doune No. 171; Bannockburn Bruce and Thistle No. 312; Abercromby No. 531; Buchlyvie No. 1268; Buchanan No. 1499 and Easterhouse No. 1591. Whilst it is pleasing to record that the event was won by Lodge Bannockburn Bruce and Thistle, it is even more pleasing to record that the sum of £3,200 was raised for the Handicapped Children of the Stirling Area.
In July 1988 Bro. Grahame J. Smith P.M. was appointed to the office of Grand Scribe E in the Supreme Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Scotland. This appointment reflected great honour on both Bro. Smith and his Mother Lodge.
1989 Lodges Ancient Stirling No. 30 and Buchlyvie No. 1268 ran a second sponsored "It's a Knockout. Whilst Lodge Bannockburn Bruce and Thistle did not on this occasion win the tournament, the real winners were the Local Charities who benefited to the tune of £2,700.
1994 Past Masters Alex Buchanan, John Rankin and Richard G. Buchanan along with W.S.W. Bro. James G. White visited The Lion Lodge No. 312 E.C. in Whitby, N.Yorkshire. They were very well received in what was hoped would prove to be the first of many visits between the two Lodges holding of the same number either side of Hadrians Wall.
1995 The Lodge received a visit from the W.M. Bro. Clive Dodsworth and three brethren from The Lion Lodge No. 312 E.C. in Whitby, N. Yorkshire. These brethren enjoyed not only a M.M. degree as practised by Lodge Bannockburn Bruce and Thistle, but also stayed an additional night in order to enjoy the Annual Burns Supper.
The Lodge was represented by the R.W.M. Bro. James G. White and a number of brethren at the 250th Anniversary of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire in the Masonic Hall, Alva.
Bro. James Collington P.M., on behalf of the Lodge, presented an inscribed decanter to the R.W.M. and Brethren of The Thistle Lodge of Glasgow No. 87 to mark the 40 year association between the two Lodges.
1997 The R.W.M. Bro. Alan D. Buchan accompanied by a number of brethren represented the Lodge at the Centenary Celebrations of Lodge Craiginnan No. 850 in Dollar.
The Lodge recorded its seventh victory in the Christison Bowling Trophy of the Stirlingshire Masonic Bowling Association, a tournament which has now been running since 1947.
1998 The R.W.M. Bro. Thomas. W. Thomson, accompanied by a number of brethren, represented the Lodge at the 125th Celebrations of Lodge Abercromby No. 531 in Bridge of Allan.
1999 The R.W.M. Bro. Alexander Don, accompanied by a number of brethren, represented the Lodge at the 400th Celebrations of Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30.