In previous times, particularly the latter half of the 19th century, it was customary for Lodges to be involved with the laying of foundation stones of public buildings. Lodge Bannockburn Bruce & Thistle No. 312 was very active in their support of these occasions with the brethren often travelling great distances.
The Lodge was represented at such ceremonies as the new bridge over the Forth at Stirling in 1831; the Wallace Monument in 1861; the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary in 1870 and the Smith Arts Museum at Stirling in 1871.
In 1826 the Brethren attended the laying of the Foundation Stone of James Wilson's Mill in Bannockburn. The exact location of this Mill is not known but could it have been the Royal George Mill Building in which the present Lodge Temple is situated? Indeed, there is a lintel in the building bearing the date 1826.
Below is a brief list of the foundation stone ceremonies at which the Lodge was in attendance.
1861 The Wallace Monument
1866 County Buildings, Falkirk
1870 Albert Bridge, Glasgow
1870 Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
1871 Smith Arts Museum, Stirling
1872 Municipal Buildings, Alloa
1876 New Post Office, Glasgow
1879 New Masonic Hall, Falkirk
1882 Forth Bridge at South Alloa
1900 Dobbie Hall, Larbert
1902 The Grand Lodge of Scotland, Edinburgh
In May 1964 the Lodge participated in the Masonic Service at the laying of the Foundation Stone of the Plinth supporting the statue of King Robert the Bruce at the Borestone.